Sunday, August 2, 2015

Curious Questions...

Oh my goodness…I’m absolutely horrid! It’s been way too long since I’ve written a blog post. Kids, husband, career…so many things that manage to take up time and before you know it? It’s flashed before your very eyes.

Okay, so what I didn’t get to do a few weeks ago, I’m going to do now. I attempted to do something…sort of an experiment. It worked and I was mildly surprised by the results. I didn’t do this to upset anyone or to cause people to feel as though they had to be on the defense. I did this in the beginning…merely out of sheer curiosity.

I had posted something on my personal Facebook page concerning same-sex marriage and religion. My intention was just to see how religion affects a person’s moral judgments. I asked this question to any of my friends who held strong religious beliefs. The question I had asked was: If you were to take religion out of the picture, would you still feel the same way you do about the same-sex marriage ruling?  If you do still feel the same way, what is the reasoning behind why you feel that way? I asked people to give me their opinion with their religious views omitted from the equation. A few people couldn’t answer my question without giving me a religious take anyway, which was something I asked them not to do. No one could really answer my questions. For the most part, many couldn’t separate their religious views from their morals. The observations that I made based off the comments I received on the post told me that they believe that their religious views greatly affect and dictate what their morals are. If that is the case, where does that leave the idea of “free will”?Anywho, it was just my curiosity getting the best of me.

I'm curious now to hear what you all might have to say about this. So, the question I leave to you all is: Do you believe that religious views dictate a person’s morals or are they two separate set of beliefs?



*Please, keep all comments/responses respectful and polite. Should anyone choose to say anything disrespectful, I will remove the comment from the page and if warranted, I will block the person from the blog. This is a place of peaceful debate and discussion and I will uphold it as such.*

No comments:

Post a Comment